A professional year program is a development program that has been structured to enhance a student’s ability to gain employment and broaden knowledge and skills of the Australian culture and workplace.
The Professional year program is available in the following fields of study:
- Computer Science
The program is structured into 44 weeks. The first 32 weeks include training in business communication and Australian workplace skills. The remaining 12 weeks is an Australian workplace internship at a host company in the student’s chosen field.
Benefits of a Professional Year Program
- Students can gain an extra 5 points when applying for Permanent Residency at the completion of a Professional year program.
- Looks good on a CV
- Develops a student’s knowledge and skills of the Australian workplace and culture.
- The internship program helps to enhance practical skills
- Increases a student’s career opportunities, especially in the fields of Accounting, IT and Engineering.
- Increases networking opportunities with industry experts and professionals.
Do I qualify?
- You must hold a degree in one of the following Fields – Accounting, Computer Science or Engineering.
- You must be holding a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) allowing you to remain in Australia for at least 18 months after completing your degree.
- Students who have graduated with an Engineering degree outside Australia at a recognized International Institution is also applicable to enrol in a professional year program in Engineering. These students would need to apply for a Recognized Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 476).
All applicants should hold or have applied to hold a Temporary residence visa, Subclass 485 and must hold this visa for the duration of the professional year program. You can apply for a 485 visa if you are on a current student or bridging visa. Engineering graduates who hold a Skilled recognized graduate visa (subclass 476) are also eligible to apply for a professional year in Engineering.
Each applicant needs to meet the skill assessment criteria of their assessing bodies to determine if they qualify. (CPA, ACS, EEA, IPA, ICAA)
English Language proficiency
All students need to have a minimum of 6.0 overall IELTS band score, with no less than 6.0 in each of the four bands.
What does the professional year program entail?
- CV and interview preparation
- Industry specific training
- Business communications
- Knowledge and understanding of Australian work practices
- 12-week professional internship program
- Fill and submit application form
- Include certified copy of passport biopage
- Provide cv/resume
- Proof of English language proficiency - IELTS/PTE score
- Copy of current visa
- Any relevant academic documents (certified copies)
- Skill assessment from the relevant assessing body
Professional Year Colleges (Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane)
- Monash Professional Pathways
- Australian Technical and Management College
- Academies Australasia Polytechnic
- Navitas Professional
- Performance Education
- Queensland International Business Academy
- Stanley College
- Accountants Resource Centre
- Indus Institute
- Education Centre of Australia