We  are  Online  

Canadian Blogs

Understanding Canadian Spousal Sponsorship: Inland vs. Outland

Canadian Spousal Sponsorship

Thurs, 14th September 2023

Many people may not be aware that there are two distinct Canadian Spousal Sponsorship options: Inland and Outland. To make the right choice for you and your family, it's crucial to understand the benefits and drawbacks of both. Let's explore the key differences between these two sponsorship routes.

Inland vs. Outland Sponsorship

If you're considering sponsoring your spouse or partner to come to Canada, you'll encounter Inland and Outland sponsorships. While they share similarities, they also have unique processes and pros and cons. In both cases, the sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.

Inland Sponsorship is for couples where the partner is already residing in Canada. The sponsored individual must stay in Canada throughout the entire application process, and the couple must live together in a Spousal relationship or Common-law partnership.

Outland Sponsorship, on the other hand, is an option when your partner lives abroad. Unlike Inland, the sponsored person doesn't have to be in Canada during their application. They can leave and return as needed. This flexibility makes Outland sponsorship attractive even for couples already in Canada.

Key Differences Between Inland & Outland Sponsorship

Inland Benefits:

  • The possibility of the foreign partner obtaining an Open Work Permit, allowing them to work in Canada during the residency approval process.
  • Staying together in Canada throughout the application process can strengthen the bond between partners.
Canadian Spousal Sponsorship

Outland Advantages:

  • Freedom for your spouse or partner to leave Canada and return during the application process.
  • Appeal rights in case of application rejection, providing a safety net for applicants.

Choosing Between Inland and Outland

The decision between Inland and Outland sponsorship depends on various factors, including the sponsor and sponsored profiles, their places of residence, and the legal recognition of their marriage based on their country of residence.

Canadian Spousal Sponsorship

Inland Sponsorship is typically suitable for legally married couples already in Canada, not planning to leave during the application process, and common-law couples with substantial evidence of a genuine, long-term relationship.

Outland Sponsorship is a better choice if the sponsor is outside Canada or needs to travel during the application process, provided they can still demonstrate a committed relationship.

Ultimately, each relationship is unique, and circumstances vary, so it's essential to gather relevant information and carefully consider your options. Some couples seek guidance from certified immigration consultants or immigration attorneys to ensure they make the right choice on their path to reuniting with their loved ones in Canada.

Still uncertain about which choice suits your needs? Connect with the SIEC migration advisor to have a conversation regarding your specific circumstances.